By David A. Franklin, Jr.
1. Criminal background checks for all gun sales
2. Reinstating the assault weapons ban
3. Restoring a 10-round limit on ammunition magazines
4. Eliminating armor-piercing bullets
5. Providing mental health services in schools
6. Allocating funds to hire more police officers
7. Instituting a federal gun trafficking statute, among other policies.
This is indeed the biggest legislative effort in a (or any) generation.
These recommendations require the approval of the “Say-no-to-everything President Obama puts forward even if it coincides with our thinking Congress” so the President has prescribed some supplements to this diet in the form of 23 executive actions that will be of immediate effect.
1. Increase Access To Background Check Data
Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make
relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Remove Legal Barriers On Background Checks
Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health
Insurance Portability and Accountability Act that may prevent states
from making information available to the background check system.
3. Incentivize Sharing Of Background Check Data
Improve incentives for states to share information with the background
4. Review Criteria For Gun Ownership
Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited
from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping
through the cracks.
5. Background Checks For Returning Seized Guns
Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full
background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. More Guidance On Background Checks
Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing
guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Safe & Responsible Gun Ownership
Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Gun Lock & Safes
Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer
Product Safety Commission
9. Improve Gun Tracking In Criminal Investigations
Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to
trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Report On Lost & Stolen Guns
Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns
and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. ATF Director
Nominate a Director for Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms.
12. Training For Law Enforcement
Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with
proper training for active shooter situations
13. Maximize Enforcement Efforts On Gun Crime
Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute
14. Increase Research On Gun Violence
Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease
Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Prioritize New Gun Technology
Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and
most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the
private sector to develop innovative technologies
16. Clarify Obamacare On Doctors & Guns
Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking
their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Inform Doctors On Reporting Threats
Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law
prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement
18. School Resource Officers
Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers
19. Develop Emergency Response Plans
Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of
worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Clarify Scope Of Medicaid's Mental Health Coverage
Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental
health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize ACA Regulations
Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity
requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Address Mental Health Parity
Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations
23. Start Dialogue On Mental Health
Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan
on mental health.
Statistics are alarming. We are aware in our subconscious that the horrific impact of gun homicides but it is not until we are confronted with a condensed matrix that we can fully appreciate the magnitude. Every single life is important but lawmakers in Washington spend time (and so they should) talking about deaths in the ghastly Benghazi incident, about the total amount of deaths in Afghanistan over the life-time of the war. However, are we to believe that the war on human lives on US soil is too close under our noses for any real attention to be paid to this appalling situation?
In 2010 the total deaths of Americans in Afghanistan war was 499 and while 13,186 people died in terrorist attacks worldwide, in that same year 31,672 people lost their lives in America owing to gun-related deaths!
Since the beginning of 2013 one American lost his life in Afghanistan while as of January 15, 2013, total loss of lives in the days since the Newtown shooting, the American death count is 919.
The answer to the question is that lawmakers and the media are the ones who determine what is important; they are the ones who call the tune and for reasons of personal economics, party economics, and ratings. Self-interest is so rife, so endemic, it stinks to holy hell and at the total disregard for the people who vote for them to take care of the people’s and the country’s interests. The media uses those who continue to watch/view/listen the mostly garbage and toxic programming. The use them as pawns in their games that convert anchors, talk-show hosts, into multimillionaires while the rest of the country suffers in poverty, deprivation of privileges, legal and civil right.
These parties have been so comfortable in their corner that they have long begun to take the American public for granted, so much so that although polls say one thing they dismiss these statistics, assured that polls are wrong or that the ‘docile, contented, ignorant’ people know no better and are unable to think for themselves.
One would think that the last election would be a wake-up call for these thinkers, but no… they are still in their slumber but the people will, and are continuing to speak. There is nothing stronger than the voice of the people.
1. The NRA and the Gun Industry sought to eliminate the unit in the Centers for Disease Control that did research on
gun-related deaths and thus over the decades diminished the ability to access such information by cutting out their
"….. those pro-gun groups have stopped the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms from revealing data to the public….. Government research on gun related deaths has diminished over the years and become more difficult to access, ..has been deliberately engineered by the gun lobby.” Guns Kill more than Terrorism, Samuel Burke, CNN, January 13, 2013
Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Director has said there are no shades of grey in the gun control debate. ‘You are either with us or against.’ . The NRA’s consistent and long standing position for at least two decade has been, ‘We will not compromise on any gun control legislation.’” And there are untold risks inherent for those who dare to disagree with the NRA. Republicans and some Democrats toe the line so as to safeguard their butts irrespective of the consequences to the country.
2. FOX News who we can always trust to be in the nastiest and most evil echelons of any issue related to the Obama Administration on Wednesday, January 16th gave viewers advice on how to obtain assault weapons after the New York ban on assault weapons.
3. States misusing tax-payers’ money in form of subsidies to manufactures of assault rifles - $19 million in tax breaks to kill our kids! States providing subsidies since 2003 are Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York and Oklahoma.
4. U.S. Senator Rand Paul (R-Kentucky) Vows Gun Challenge...
5. State Rep. Joe Carr (R –Tennessee) Proposes Bill Targeting Federal Agents...
6. Mississippi Governor Phil Bryant and House Speaker Philip Gunn say they will block any federal measures limiting the right to bear and possess arms from being enforced in Mississippi
7. Second Congressman Floats Impeachment: Congressman Randel join his colleague Steve Stockman from Texas saying if the President restricts gun rights he will eliminate funding for implementation, defunding the White House, and even filing articles of impeachment” against the President.
8. Wyoming Lawmaker: Make Assault Weapons Enforcement A Felony... State Rep. Kendell Kroeker a Republican state lawmaker in Wyoming has introduced legislation to prohibit enforcement of federal gun control measures
9. LONE-STAR LOON: Rep. Tries To Ban Gun Laws... State Rep. Steve Toth (R- The Woodlands) a newly elected Republican state legislator in Texas has proposed legislation making it illegal to enforce a federal gun ban in the state
10. LAWLESS SHERIFFS: We Won't Enforce Gun Laws... From Oregon to Mississippi, President Barack Obama's proposed ban on new assault weapons and large-capacity magazines struck a nerve among rural lawmen and lawmakers, many of whom vowed to ignore any restrictions – and even try to stop federal officials from enforcing gun policy in their jurisdictions.
11. NRA UNHINGED: Ad Targets Obama Children... The NRA’s “Stand and Fight Campaign” A video released by the National Rifle Association on Tuesday sharply criticizes President Obama for his skepticism about placing armed guards in schools, calling the president an "elitist hypocrite" for allowing the Secret Service to protect his daughters.
"Are the president's kids more important than yours?" the ad asks. "Then why is he skeptical about putting armed security in our schools when his kids are protected by armed guards at their school?"
The ad continues: "Mr. Obama demands the wealthy pay their fair share of taxes, but he is just another elitist hypocrite when it comes to a fair share of security."
12. 'Fight Of The Century': NRA Warns Obama Gun Proposal Is 'Fight Of The Century' In Fundraising Push
These individuals, and the NRA continue to be tone deaf to the voice of majority of Americans who support some type of gun control as evidenced by the latest polls – background checks (82%), ban on assault-style weapons (55%), ban on high-capacity ammunition clips (54%).
In this war, the battles are being fueled by a Group Of Polarized beings - the GOP. These individuals make it their full-time occupation to develop and expand extremism, to stereotype, dehumanize and condemn those who they see as “not like them” in thinking and ideology. They wage war against those who stand in their way of popularity, graft and corruption
One has to give them an ‘A+’ for consistency but an ‘F’ for smarts for the lack of ability to see that this ploy is not working and it will never work.
Listen To Our Radio Show:
"Kitchen Politics123 Radio Show with Dave & Lori"
TELEPHONE (619)789-1959 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (619)789-1959 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
"LIKE" Our Facebook Community Page:
Join Us In Our Facebook Political Group:
The GOP Losers Are Furious